Car search has car factsheets, measurements and accesssibility features to search and compare cars to find:
- models that are easiest for you to get into and out of
- ones with space to stow a wheelchair, mobility scooter or other kit or equipment
- detailed car measurement data on over 1400 cars
New models are added continuously.
Choosing a car
We describe some of the simpler equipment for older and disabled people that can make driving a car easier with:
- details of where to go for simpler adaptations
- questions to ask about type of car or car controls
Go to Choosing a car
Cars for families of disabled children
We consider the issues affecting disabled children and their families when choosing and using a car and look at:
- relevant standard features and specialist equipment.
- choosing a family car
- specific issues affecting disabled children, including supporting posture, challenging behaviour and transporting equipment.
Getting in and out of a car
Whether you're in a wheelchair, or just find it difficult to get in and out of a car, we provide:
- information and advice on useful techniques
- details of aids or equipment for anyone needing extra help
- information and practical advice on getting getting from your wheelchair into your car.
Disabled and older drivers who need to adapt the driving controls can find out the range of controls with our information which includes:
- a list of things to consider
- details of type of car adaptations you may need
- guidance and contact details of adaptation companies
- advice on where to go for further advice.
Go to Car controls
Wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs)
A wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) can make a great difference for disabled drivers and disabled passengers. Travelling in your wheelchair means you don't need to transfer in and out, or stow it in the boot, so you can travel more freely. We provide:
- information on the different types of WAV available
- advice on how to go about choosing and buying one
- contact details of useful organisations that can provide specialist advice.
Getting a wheelchair into a car
We consider what equipment is available to help get a wheelchair or mobility scooter into a car and transport it safely, including different types of hoists, racks and trailers.
Motoring if you've a particular disability
This series of print guides provides additional information for people with specific disabilities or conditions including:
- things to look out for
- information about adaptations
- and where to go for further help
- tips and advice from people with the particular condition or disability
Driving safely for life: a guide for older drivers
- exactly what the law says about ability to drive
- how to best assess capabilities, for example, by visiting a mobility centre
- modifications for vehicles and good driving habits to keep on the road longer
Go to Older Drivers guide
The law & motoring
Depending on your particular condition, there may be certain legal requirements you need to fulfil before you can legally drive and get insurance. You'll need to let the DVLA know of any adaptations to your car which will be recorded on your licence.
Go to the law and motoring
Financial help for motoring
Adapting a car can be expensive and we cover some ways you can get help with financing adaptations and the rules on what is VAT exempt.
Go to Car finance
Last updated: May 2017