Making your bathroom easier to use
You'll also find details of bathing products, including hoists, bath boards and bath seats, on these pages.
Rica is a UK consumer research charity. We don't sell products. Search online by product name to find suppliers. Rica's information is based on research and can help you choose the right option to meet your needs.
- Cost - new bath or shower?
- Bath boards
2.1 Bath user tests
- Bath seats
3.1 Bath seat user tests
- Bath lifts and hoists
- Accessories including grab rail, specially designed cushions and sponges
- Loos and basins
- Who can help?
- (++) shows there's a wide price range
- You don't have to pay for VAT on bathing products for disabled people
Rica has produced a guide to download and print here: Difficulty getting in and out of the bath? (PDF).
The main ways to adapt your bath to make it easier to get in and out are by using:
Bath boards and seats
- A bath board fits across the bath. You sit on it and lift your legs over the rim. You can wash or shower from there or lower yourself onto a bath seat. £14 - £50
- Washing from a bath seat means you don't have to get right down into the bath. Or you can use one with a board to get into the bath in stages. £17 - £40+
- Combined boards and seats are also available, from £50++
- A bath bench is a bath board that extends beyond the bath to help you get in. More expensive ones have a seat that swivels round. £100 - £160.
Bath lifts and hoists
- With a bath lift, you sit on the seat, lift your legs over the rim and press a button on a remote control and the seat slowly lowers you into the bath. There are four kinds of bath lift: manual, inflatable, band and powered seats. £300 - £650+
- Fixed bath hoists are available as either electric or manual models and can be floor or ceiling mounted. £800 - £900++
- Mobile bath hoists can be wheeled about - which is useful if you need to use them in more than one room. £1,000+
Bath steps can be a cost-effective solution for many people. They can have one or more steps, and some come with hand rails. £20 - £60.
Grab rails can be combined with many of these solutions for extra security when getting in and out.
Find out more
Also visit Living Made Easy - bathing section, from the Disabled Living Foundation charity, which provides unbiased information on the range of bathing products available in the UK. It doesn't sell products.
Last updated: August 2016
Introduction | Next: Cost - new bath or shower?