Choosing a toaster
Loading the bread
- Is it easy to push down the loading control?
- Can you manually eject bread without much force?
- Does the body of the toaster get hot?
- Does the toast lift clear of the loading slots, so there's no risk of touching the hot metal parts?
- Does the toaster slide about on the kitchen surface?
- Is the crumb tray easy to get at, pull out and put back again?
- Can you use the toaster with one hand?
- Are labels and markings large and do they contrast well with their background?
- Are buttons easy to press? Large buttons that stick out are better.
- Are dials large and easy to grip and turn?
- Are positions on the dial well-spaced? Cramped settings need more precise control.
- Are the controls well-spaced, so that you don't press the wrong one accidentally?