Rica (formerly Ricability) is the trading name of the national research charity Research Institute for Consumer Affairs. We focus specifically on issues of concern to disabled and older consumers. Rica was founded through Consumers Association, publishers of Which? but is now an independent charity.
With grant funding we research and publish free consumer reports. They are all based on rigorous research and provide practical information needed by disabled and older consumers.
We also carry out commissioned research work with manufacturers, service providers, regulators and policy makers to improve products and services. Our aim is to increase their awareness of the needs of disabled and older consumers through specialist research.
Rica carries out research and publishes information to enable disabled and older people to live independently.
- evaluation - user and technical tests, surveys and other assessments carried out on a wide range of products and services
- publication of guides for disabled consumers
- research commissioned by other organisations, but of ultimate value to the disabled consumer
- improving the standards of products and services by making manufacturers, service providers and regulators aware of the needs of older and disabled people
Rica's staff design and manage all its research, although specialised services are commissioned from appropriate organisations and individuals.
- aims to create a market which meets the needs of older and disabled consumers
- involves older and disabled people at every stage
- is shared freely with disability and other organisations
Working for change
Rica is actively involved with a number of groups and working parties that are specifically concerned with consumer issues around products and services for older and disabled people, including:
- ANEC (European Association for the Co-ordination of Consumer Representation in Standardisation): Special Needs Working Group, Domestic Appliances Working Group
- British Standards Institution